More than 4000 heavy trucks travel the Hume Highway every day between Melbourne and Sydney. Some are B-doubles – a prime mover with two semi-trailers attached (up to 68 tonnes in weight and 25 metres length). Most of Australia’s domestic freight is delivered by road, hence road transport is a fundamental part of the Australian economy.
- We believe that there should be greater policing of fatigue management infrastructure and regulations.
- We encourage the usage of more truck lanes for heavy vehicles.
- We support the ongoing development of intermodal depots.
- Road maintenance in Victoria needs to be improved to maintain a safe road network.
- The Government should explore available opportunities to increase the amount of intercity and intra-city freight movement on rail to reduce heavy vehicles on our roads.