Transport Matters recognises the increasing usage of Bicycles by Victorians. In 2017, bicycles accounted for 16% of all vehicle movement in the City of Melbourne in the morning period (between 7am and 10am). Additionally, Bicycles Network alone has over 50,000 members Australia-wide.
Bike riding is not only good for our mental and physical wellbeing but a viable and attractive transport option for Victorians.
It is for this reason we support:
- The ‘One Meter apart’ policy to protect cyclists from traffic;
- Investing in bike lanes both on-road and off-road;
- Additional secure bike storages in and around public transport;
- Inclusion of mountain bike trails and bike parks in local council areas;
- Educating young Victorians on bike safety;
- Improving policies around cyclists to enhance their safety;
- Implementing legislation to protect pedestrians injured by cyclists.
1 Improving cyclist and pedestrian safety;
2 Increasing bicycle usage.