Skip navigation


This information is intended to act as a guide only and does not consider the varying circumstances of each individual. For more assistance, it is advised that individuals seek official government material or speak to their accountant.

JobSeeker Payment

If you’ve lost your job or income, you are able to apply for the Jobseeker payment (previously known as the Newstart Allowance). The payment is available to Australian citizens and residents between the ages of 22 and 66. You cannot receive both JobKeeper and JobSeeker.

The coronavirus JobSeeker supplement is a temporary payment of $550 each fortnight that will be payed to recipients of income support. This payment is in addition to any other payment the eligible recipients receive.

The coronavirus supplement will be provided to people receiving the following benefits:

  • Jobseeker Payment
  • Sickness Allowance
  • Youth Allowance for jobseekers
  • Parenting Payment Partnered
  • Parenting Payment Single
  • Partner Allowance
  • Farm Household Allowance


Who is eligible to receive payments?


To be eligible you must be:

  • between 22 and Age Pension age
  • you meet residence rules
  • your income and assets are under the test limits.

You also need to meet rules for 1 of these situations:

  • You meet our definition of unemployed and you’re looking for work.
  • You’re sick or injured and are unable to do your usual work or study for a short time.

You may also be able to get this payment if your work situation changes because of coronavirus (COVID 19). The change in your work situation can be for 1 of the following reasons. You’re:

  • a permanent employee and have lost your job
  • a sole trader, self-employed, a casual or contract worker and your income has reduced
  • caring for someone who’s affected by coronavirus.

Find more information here:


How to Apply for the Job Seeker Payment


Step 1. Create a MyGov account or log into your existing one.

Step 2. If you do not already have a Centrelink account: register your intention to claim

  • Services Australia has launched an online ‘intent to claim’ function through MyGov.
  • To access the online intent to claim you just need a MyGov account linked to Medicare or Australian Taxation Office services.
  • Once you’ve linked either of these services, you will see a prompt on your MyGov welcome page to register your intention to claim.
  • Once an intent to claim is lodged through MyGov, Services Australia will contact you as soon as possible to talk through the next steps.
  • For new customers this will include support setting up a Customer Reference Number (CRN).

Step 3: Once you have a Centrelink account: make a claim

  1. Sign into myGov and select Centrelink.
  2. Select Make a claim from your homepage.
  3. Select Get Started from the Looking for work category.
  4. Answer pre-claim questions to check your eligibility.
  5. Start your claim and answer the questions about your situation.
  6. Review and confirm your claim.


Find more information here: