Public transport is vital to keep Victoria “on the move”. An effective and efficient public transport network, ensures the reduction of congestion on our roads. Public transport also helps lessen our carbon footprint by reducing the number of vehicles on the road. We believe that further action to the actions recommended by an independent advisor to Infrastructure Victoria are needed; the following we see as critical to improve Victoria’s public transport:
- By 2022 public transport should be free for all passengers under the age of 18 or over the age of 65.
- By 2026 public transport should be the cost of a Gold Coin only.
- There should be provision for safe bike storage at bus, train and tram stops.
- The Government should resume ownership of trams and trains when the existing contracts expire.
- The Taxi and Hire Car industry (including Ride Share operators) should fall under the jurisdiction of the Public Transport Ombudsman.
- Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria (CPVV) should also fall under the jurisdiction of the Public Transport Ombudsman.
- Continuing support of the allowance of all assistance animals on any form of public transport, at all times.