More than 4000 heavy trucks travel the Hume Highway every day between Melbourne and Sydney. Some are B-doubles – a prime mover with two semi-trailers attached (up to 68 tonnes in weight and 25 metres length). Most of Australia’s domestic freight is delivered by road, hence road transport is a fundamental part of the Australian economy.
- We believe that there should be greater policing of fatigue management infrastructure and regulations.
- We encourage the usage of more truck lanes for heavy vehicles.
- We support the ongoing development of intermodal depots.
- Road maintenance in Victoria is a disgrace and needs to be improved to maintain a safe road network.
- We do not support extended tolling of existing toll-roads to pay for new toll-roads.
- We support the Transport Workers Union’s position that every truck driver – from employee to subbie – should have rates and conditions of work that ensure they’re paid for every hour, every kilometre and every cost.
- We support greater policing of fatigue management infrastructure and regulations.